She became an ‘Elder Brother’ in 2004 and has been keenly involved in the activities of Trinity House – attending and presiding over events such as the opening of the Lizard Lighthouse Heritage Centre. She is also Patron of the Northern Lighthouse Board and Happisburgh lighthouse.
The Princess Royal succeeds her father, the Duke of Edinburgh, who was elected an Elder Brother in 1952 and is the Corporation’s longest serving Master, elected in 1969. The Duke of Edinburgh will continue to be involved with Trinity House in his role as an Elder Brother.
Other famous Masters of Trinity House include: Samuel Pepys, the Duke of Wellington and William Pitt.
In March of this year Her Royal Highness visited Trinity House in Harwich, for the first time, to meet staff and see firsthand the operations of the General Lighthouse Authority (GLA) of England and Wales.
During her two hour visit she met with representatives from each department in the main office building. She also visited the 24/7 Operations and Planning Centre from which all of Trinity House’s aids to navigation are monitored; the buoys yard which also houses labs for research and radio-navigation; and she met with field operatives who maintain lighthouses and buoys.
HRH The Princess Royal was elected Master of The Corporation of Trinity House in May 2011.
© 2020 The Corporation of Trinity House of Deptford Strond. All Rights Reserved.
Registered charity in England and Wales under charity registration number 211869.
Registered office: Trinity House, Tower Hill, London, EC3N 4DH.